Thursday, June 03, 2010

Making the IPTV Move - #1

So I am making the move from Cable TV to using only the internet. I feel that with normal cable tv, we just watched what we wanted to, but paid a ton of money for stuff we didn't want. I thought that there was an a' la cart law passed that required cable companies to only charged for what you wanted, but I just don't see that coming any time soon... Thus last night I drove 30 miles round trip to drop off my cable box at COX in Oceanside.

Here is the plan that I am looking to roll out and will document, since I know some people are also interested in this. I am going to be turning my current computer into a media server, which I will rip all of our DVD's to and stream media from. I will be using my PS3 as the portal to the internet on my TV. I will be trying out a few different pieces of software, mainly using PlayOn to stream Hulu, and hopefully GoogleTV in the Fall...

In my next post I will outline my current set-up and how its all working together currently.

Nater

No comments: