Sunday, July 17, 2011

Facebook vs Google+

Let me start with what I dislike about Facebook:

1) Why does it always default to "Top News" and not "Most Recent"...

2) Security on FB is confusing, constantly changing, and in the news all the time!
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-20004511-83.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/06/technology/internet/06facebook.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/160545/facebook_hit_by_five_security_problems_in_one_week.html

3) SECURITY IS A PROBLEM ON FB! Just do a Google Search on it, you'll find tons of news reports and posts about malicious apps. Here, I made it easy: http://goo.gl/NXinf. There are even hackers out there selling kits to make malicious Facebook apps: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/hackers-selling-25-toolkit-to-create-malicious-facebook-apps/8104.

4) Sharing with people is easy, but it goes to EVERYONE! Sure there are lists that you can create to allow certain people to see certain posts, but it is really confusing and hard to implement. Do you know anyone who uses the lists... This is the main reason why I am not FB friends with most my family, and why I am selective on who I Friend. I only have 90 some Friends for a reason!

5) Facebook believes they own your data:
http://consumerist.com/2009/02/facebooks-new-terms-of-service-we-can-do-anything-we-want-with-your-content-forever.html

Just try to download all of your pics or friends contact info... Go ahead. I'll wait.

As you may know, it is not easy to get data out of Facebook. Pictures have to be downloaded individually! And trying to get your friend data. May as well just pull out a pad of paper and start going through each friend's profile and writting it down.

There have been some good programs that have been created to automate this process. Facebook has shut them down as fast as they can! Why would they want you to not have YOUR friends contact info...
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/facebook/facebook-blocks-google-chrome-extension-for-exporting-friends/1935




And here is what I Like about Goolge+

1) Google already holds all my info, so I like having all my eggs in one basket. And I don't recall the last time I heard a Google security issue... Just do a News search on it, there's not much. Here is a search from Bing http://www.bing.com/news/search?q=google+security&go=&qs=n&sk=&sc=8-15&form=QBNR

2) Circles is a great feature! It makes it very easy to share things with exactly who you want to. Now you can be friends with everyone and easily share with them.



Here is my example:

I have Circles for FAMILY, CAR FRIENDS, GOLF BUDS, etc. If I want to share something with my FAMILY, I create my post click the FAMILY Circle, and it posts only to my FAMILY. If I am out drinking some beers and having a good time and do something dumb while I am drunk, I can share it with my CAR FRIENDS and GOLF BUDS and my FAMILY (think little nieces) won't see it.

You can put Friends into as many or as little Circles as you want. And Circles are easy to create, it's just a drag and drop process.

3) As I said in #1, I use Google for EVERYTHING. Thus the integration is really good, and will only get better! Right now Picasa, Buzz, GTalk are all integrated and Google is pushing its teams to integrate everything. Thus G+ will be a central point for all things!

4) G+ Instant Upload is AWESOME! Sorry iPhone people, you're still waiting for your G+ app. Basically everytime I take a picture with my Android phone it is instantly uploaded to a private Picasa album. And is waiting there for you to share it if you want.



The speed is really good, and all the uploading is done in the background. It's not like the FB app where you have to open the app then select upload pic, it just does it!

5) Hangouts are pretty cool. It's a great video chat feature that allows you to chat with a ton of people! And you can watch YouTube videos together.



Think about uploading a video of your kid or dog, then being able to see there reactions when they see it. And there is no additional software, it just works right from the browser. This is 10 times better than Skype... Once again, all eggs one basket.



This is a short list and I will create more on best practices for using G+ in the near future. But I am very excited for this, to say the least... Just think about further integration: Latitude, GCalenader for events, GMaps, Gmail, Google Groups, Blogger, Google Music... The list goes on and on, and the possibilities are endless.

No comments: