Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Already Working

As I get closer and closer to graduating I continue to think of my future outside of college life (yay). I think about future careers and am really excited about one option, golf engineering.

Well I came across a neat concept the other day, a material that is soft and flexible but when struck hard the molecules bonds stregthen. This is what the report states:

Under normal conditions the molecules within the material are weakly bound and can move past each with ease, making the material flexible. But the shock of sudden deformation causes the chemical bonds to strengthen and the moving molecules to lock, turning the material into a more solid, protective shield.

Now think about this on the cover of a golf ball. This is what they have been trying to do for years with different layers of the golf ball getting progressively harder as you get to the core. So the cover feels soft on short shots, but the ball feels firm on long shots. This new material (if not already used) could be perfect for the golf ball. Maybe I should apply for a patent....

NATER

No comments: